This week, in honour of Halloween, I thought I would share the top 5 superstitions I carry with me from growing up with a Scottish mother.
1. Cross your knife and fork at the dinner table when laying them down.
Result: Someone is going to have an argument.
2. Give a knife, or cutting instrument as a present without giving some form of money (usually a coin).
Result: You could sever the friendship.
3. Accidently drop a fork on the floor.
Result: You’re going to have company.
4. Give a purse or wallet as a gift without including some money.
Result: The person receiving the purse or wallet will be challenged by money troubles.
5. The first person through your door after the New Year begins should be a dark-haired male carrying food and fuel.
Result: This will ensure you have prosperity and good health for the year. (Known as the “First Footer”).
These are the first five that came to mind, but there are more!