Today I turn 50

Today I turn 50 and I celebrate it with every fibre in my body.

I’m a no regrets kind of person and keeping my eye on a goal and a future plan, only looking back to reminisce or learn a lesson, is how I keep positive and focused.

Reaching 50 is a celebration for me—a milestone at which to take time to pause, reflect, and refocus.

I often hear from those who know me, ‘you’re so lucky’.  My reaction to those people is often to smile, nod, and agree.

I agree because I do feel lucky. I am happy and comfortable with who I am, where I am, and get to spend my life with the best husband and kids I could ever hope to have.

What may not always be apparent about my first first 50 years, however, is that they have been more about perseverance, overcoming obstacles, assimilating disappointments, and roll-up-your-sleeves hard work than they have been about luck.

Will life 50+ be any different?

Likely not. But what I have learned along the way is how important it is to find the balance to make it all ‘sing’.  To be positive in the moment, to learn from others, and to be true to myself.

This blog is my latest personal challenge: 53 blog posts for my 50th year, one a week + one to reflect on the year. I’ll share some stories about the past 50 years as well as what’s going on in the ‘here and now’.   I’ll throw in the odd recipe, favourite places to visit, or top 5 list.

My hope is that through the blog, you’ll get a glimpse into the life of a Gen Xer who found midlife happiness and balance.

You’re welcome to join me on my journey of being 50.

DSCN3001
Let’s do this 50 thing.

Comments

16 comments on “Today I turn 50”
  1. Larry McCarthy says:

Short and sweet just like you. Looking forward to your next post.

2. jennamac007 says:

I love your blog already – I can’t wait to go through your 50th year with you, learn from you and be inspired by you.

1. Thanks Jenna and thank you for giving me the final nudge and inspiration.

3. Maureen Wyborn says:

One amazing woman you are!

1. Thank you Aunt Maureen. Love xoxo

4. JR Jean says:

Happy birthday! May this upcoming year and decade be the best one yet for you! Enjoy to the fullest! Almost-there-myself, Jacinte

1. Thanks Jacinte! I’m prepared to love my 50s!

5. Betty MacMillan says:

Great project – happy 50th!! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading!

Betty

6. Kathy Craig says:

Happy Birthday and looking forward to your next year in blogs. 50 is great!

7. Kathy Owen says:

My first thought when I read this was as a friend from the past how happy I am that you are loving your life and that I am so glad that you are so happy. My second thought was how much you reminded me of your mother in your picture and how proud she would be of you for doing this. Enjoy being 50 Paula and if I remember you even a little bit you will make it just as interesting and comical and matter of fact as only you could!!

1. Thank you Kathy, everything you said means a great deal to me. I look forward to keeping you entertained. 🙂

8. Janice Bishop says:

Thank you for sharing Paula. You have such a busy life and I am in awe of you. I look forward to seeing all of your blogs.